Alleluia! Inconsistence SCA implementation from GSA be gone!
GSA has finally issued guidance on the implementation of the Service Contract Labor Standards (formerly called the Service Contract Act). It seems like dog years ago and certainly several changes of leadership at GSA when I first met with them about issuing uniform SCLS guidance.
How Do We Know This?
GSA published a draft refresh of Schedule 23V (firetrucks, auto, and auto parts and accessories) which contains the draft guidance along with some SCA/SCLS questions and answers. However, GSA tells us that this (draft) guidance will be finalized pronto and implemented across the board on all schedules. The grand Wizard of Oz will finally speak to all in Munchkin Land.
What You Need to Know Now:
- We finally have some (forthcoming) guidance from DOL and GSA. In summary, current Wage Determinations (WDs) will be deleted from all existing schedule contracts.
- GSA policies and procedures will be updated to direct ordering activity contracting officers to incorporate the appropriate Wage Determinations at the task order level.
- I have always said the FAR directs the contracting officers to make this determination and not the contractor. This is consistent with the FAR.
- A GSA Mass Mod will be issued in approximately 10 days across all Schedules incorporating these changes.
- Although the revised Schedule 23V Refresh is a DRAFT summary of what is to come, it highlights the significant changes. There are FAQs that provide a good summary specific to SCA.
- You can’t bid higher than your Schedule rates.
- If you are bidding on a task order proposal that incorporates a WD for an area that is higher priced than your schedule rates, you may have to modify your GSA Schedule. We don’t know if GSA will process modifications to support bidding and not billed rates but GSA, this can be an issue. I predict mass confusion here, just like when the Wicked Witch of the West flies over Oz.
- All GSA Catalogs will need to be revised to remove the SCA matrix. There will be less work at the Schedule level now on SCA/SCLS.
Need More Information?
Email me at email@example.com if you want the GSA FAQs and Schedule 23V with the pertinent sections. I will also be posting more details on our SCA LinkedIn Forum. For even more help, consider reaching out to us if you need legal or GSA consulting services. We are all about the SCLS/SCA compliance.
About the Author:
Barbara Kinosky has more than twenty-five years of experience in all aspects of federal government contracting and is a nationally known expert on GSA and VA Schedules and the Service Contract Act. She has a proven track record of solving complex issues for clients by providing strategic and business savvy advice. Barbara was named a top attorney for federal contracting by Smart CEO magazine in 2010, 2012, and 2015.